Speaker Glauk Konjufca is declared innocent regarding the tear gas

Speaker Glauk Konjufca has been acquitted of charges of using a weapon or dangerous tool at the Basic Court in Pristina. This accusation is related to the throwing of tear gas in a meeting of the Presidency of the Assembly, where the legal proceedings of the Demarcation Agreement with Montenegro were foreseen.

The Basic Court in Pristina has acquitted the Speaker of the Assembly, Glauk Konjufca, of the charge of using a weapon or a dangerous tool related to the throwing of tear gas at the meeting of the Presidency of the Assembly on August 18, 2016.

The announcement of the judgment was made in Konjufca's absence.

Judge Edita Çanta said that during the court process it was not proven that Konjufca, as an opposition deputy, committed the criminal offense for which the Basic Prosecutor's Office in Pristina accuses him.

Konjufca's lawyer on the basis of official duty, Abnore Zeqiri, has called the decision regarding the release of the speaker fair and expected.

The indictment for this case was filed in 2017 and contained the charge of the criminal offense of obstructing an official in the performance of official duties, but the prosecution for this criminal offense was prescribed last year.

In the meeting of 2016, where tear gas was thrown, the agenda was to put the Agreement on Border Demarcation with Montenegro on the legislative agenda.

At that time, the Vetëvendosje Movement strongly opposed the Agreement on the Association of Municipalities with a Serbian Majority and the Agreement on the Border Demarcation with Montenegro.

Prime Minister Albin Kurti also confirmed the use of tear gas as a form of opposition in the Assembly in a judicial review more than six years ago.

Until now, only the former deputy of the Assembly of Kosovo, Driton Çaushi, has been punished for throwing tear gas in the Assembly.

On October 12, 2021, Çaushi was sentenced by the Basic Court to 14 months of conditional imprisonment, and on April 13, 2022, his sentence was confirmed by the Court of Appeal.

While with a fine of 200 euros, the former deputies of the Assembly, Donika Kadaj Bujupi and Aida Dërguti, were punished for the same criminal offense.