Activists say institutions tend to stifle feminist resistance

Femicide, protest, feminism

Bjeshke Guri, an activist from civil society, has said that the institutions in Kosovo are expressing a tendency to extinguish the feminist resistance in the country. Commenting on the detention for 48 hours of the two activists Neri Ferizi and Anita Mjeku, after Thursday's protest against the murders of women, Guri said that "it is unacceptable that the activists are kept in custody while the perpetrator remains free".

"They have stopped because of the resistance that was made yesterday against all injustices and all types of violence that women are facing every day in our country. We see this tendency of the Prosecutor's Office and institutional links as a reason and tendency to extinguish the feminist resistance in Kosovo", said Guri on the show "60 Minutes" on KTV.

Guri has said that there is a major institutional failure in dealing with cases of violence against women. She has described the suicide of the suspect for the murder of the pregnant woman two days ago in front of the Gynecology Clinic as a major failure of the state. Guri said that SH had to be arrested from the very beginning when his wife presented the first case of violence in court, in August of this year.

"We are continuously facing the failure of every institutional link. Women are at war because they are fighting every day with this system", she said, adding that women still face stigmatization and that they are pressured to "put up with the husband and not break the family".

Guri also criticized the reaction of Prime Minister Albin Kurti after the murder that happened on Wednesday. He said that Kurti's sentence about the social reaction that "lasts briefly" with "one or two protests the next day and: goodbye after the next murder", "is an expression that tends to extinguish the importance and resistance of the protests and an attempt to minimize the role of civil society".

Feminist activists protested today in front of the State Prosecutor's Office with calls to release the two activists. In the protest, one of the organizers invited the Government and the Prosecutor's Office to release the banned activists and that "such attempts to fade activism will not work".

Thursday's protest was organized a day after the murder of a 35-year-old pregnant woman in the courtyard of the Gynecology Department. The suspect was her husband, who committed suicide on Friday by refusing to surrender to the Police.